Normally, it is also pretty easy to use. Recently, though, I encountered a tough issue to debug.
I encountered the following error on opening the site:
An error has occurred. An error has occurred.
As I read up on it and understood it a bit more, lots of things can cause it. Basically, DNN has a serious error and it will not start.
To help diagnose it:
- Go to the SQL Server database and open up the EventLog.
- Go to the last events in the log. An error on compilation or missing files typically will generate multiple entries. Look for the cluster of errors at the bottom of the log.
- For the first record of the error, select the LogProperties, right-click and copy. Save this to a file called errors.xml (or whatever). Right-click and open it in a browser.
- The final part of the XML file will contain the actual exception.
This error will be masked as other things. What I have seen is the following:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
However, if I went up 4 records, I got the real error message:
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.PageLoadException: Unhandled error loading page. ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: The file '/DesktopModules/DDRMenu/Menu.ascx' does not exist.
Ultimately, I had to delete a virtual directory in IIS to get it working again.
HTH someone else in the search engines.